Holy Monastery of Agios Nikolaos
The Monastery of Agios Nikolaos is built 920 meters southwest of Metsovo, in the valley of the Arachthos River. It is the oldest monastery of Metsovo, with the year of its construction unknown, and in its long history it was repaired several times, but it was radically renovated around 1700 when the frescoes were placed in the same year. The gilded temple is an excellent example of continental woodcarvings made with the older technique. The last renovation was carried out in 1960 at the expense of the Baron Michael Tositsa Foundation.
A monastery is also a place of repentance of Agios Nikolaos of Metsovo, in whose honor a chapel has been built near the monastery's catholic church. The monastery is also surrounded by vineyards traditionally tended with great care by the monks with the help of minimal technical means due to the uneven slope of the terrain, characteristic of mountain vineyards. The wine produced by the monks is called 'Imperator'. The monastery can be visited either by foot, following the paved path from Metsovo, or by road, since there is a road that leads to the parking area at the entrance of the monastery.